Meet the Ranch Family
Austin County is named for Stephen Fuller Austin, also known as the “Father of Texas”. It was the central site for his colony, the first Anglo-American settlement in Texas in the early 1820’s. The Lazy A Ranch is located between Bellville and Hempstead off Highway 159.
The ownership history of the Lazy A Ranch has not been completed, but the property was owned by Charles (Charlie) Kurt who lived here. There is a Gravesite at the ranch which includes these names: Ferdnand Fruelich (1836-1893), Martha Granau (1823-1889), wife of Henry, Otto Arriens (1850-1892), and Maria Arriens (1854-1889). This information is from notes of Ethel Carruth. The Lazy A was owned and developed by the Allen (Buddy) and Ethel Carruth family beginning in the 1950’s. A small herd of the original Santa Gertrudis cows remains, with the Lazy A brand.
The ranch was purchased in 2008 by Ferme, Ltd., which is owned by Margot and Bill Heard and their children and grandchildren. The name Ferme comes from Old French, 900-1400, meaning farm. Outdoor Education is the operating company.
The ranch is an active member of the British White Cattle Association of America, the American Wagyu Association, the Texas Wagyu Association, and the Texas and the Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. The ranch is certified by the American Grassfed Association and the Animal Welfare Approved organization.
Contact us at Lazy A Ranch